We are now back in the season with the long dark evenings. These can be made more beautiful not only with philately but also with games. A game that is widespread all over the world is dominoes. Its origin is unclear, but it is thought to be Chinese. It probably came to Europe with Marco Polo. These four special stamps with franking of 50 centimes each are not the only stamps with the domino game as a motif (see below), but they are exceptional. The dominoes are – contrary to the usual black – in light colors and thus a colorful franking of 2 CHF can be applied to a letter in a creative and playful way. In addition, the eyes of the dominoes are punched out, so that the “eye color” can also be varied depending on the envelope color. The stamps are sold on a miniature sheet of 4 (see above with first-day cancel).
- Validity: Unlimited from 11.11.2021
- Printing: Offset printing, 4-color; Joh. Enschedé, Haarlem, Netherlands
- Sizes: Stamps: 23.5 × 47 mm; sheets: 192 × 115 mm; (4 stamps)
- Paper: stamp paper white, with optical brightener, matt gummed, 110 gm².
- Perforation: 14¼ : 14¼
- Design: Thierry Gobalet, Steffisburg
Image credits: Swiss Post, colnect.com